CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, July 19, 2010

Colorado Trip- Part Two

American Basin

The second half of our Colorado trip was spent doing some traditional outdoorsy-type things. Wed. morning my parents watched the girls and Scott and I took our rented jeep up to American Basin, which has amazing views. There was a gorgeous mixture of wildflowers, waterfalls, streams, and snow patches. Once we reached the basin we took off on foot toward Handies' Peak. Unfortunately we did not make it all the way. I got altitude sickness (the worst!) with a horrible headache and upset stomach. So we started back down, only to have to stop for an hour and half for me to sleep a little and recover enough to walk down the rest of the way. That evening we went over to Gunnison to eat dinner and then let the girls play at the park. They had some HUGE slides and I couldn't believe how brave the girls were to go down them. Unfortunately Kendall got twisted around in the gigantic tunnel slide and was scared of it from then on. When we returned to the cabin that night I still didn't feel well, so the girls gave me some flowers they had picked outside and helped make me a bed on the couch where I could relax. It was so precious. Thursday Scott and my Dad took Avery fishing at Deer Lakes and Kendall, my Mom and I hung around the cabin and went out to feed the neighborhood woodchuck or marmot, whichever it was. That night we all went out to Lake San Cristobal right outside Lake City and Scott, my Dad, and the girls all fished. The girls gave up pretty quickly and went on to the sport of rock throwing, but my Dad was lucky enough to catch one rainbow trout. On Friday Scott and my Dad went fly fishing with a guide for most of the day, and my Mom, the girls and I went shopping in town and got some neat souveneirs. We left on Saturday morning and arrived back home late Sunday afternoon. It was such a relaxing trip and we made so many great family memories-- truly what a vacation should be!

another pic of American Basin and the hiking trail up to Handies Peak
king of the mountain
beautiful waterfall cascading down the mountain
me by a big patch of snow
HUGE tunnel slide in Gunnison
Kendall going down a smaller tunnel slide
Avery fishing with her Barbie fishing pole (Kendall's pole was Disney Princess)
Avery and her Poppi at Deer Lakes

0 comments: