After much debating and checking to see if friends were attending, I finally decided that we should make a trip out to Lubbock for my 20 yr high school reunion. The kids and I rode down with my parents on Friday and arrived in time to meet my cousin Denise and her family, who live in Lubbock, for dinner at Chuy's. After dinner we did a little bit of exploring and ended up at what used to be my elementary school, Murfee. They have since torn it down, combined with another school's students and built a new building where Murfee once was. It was sad not being able to show the kids my old elementary school, but they liked seeing the area at least and playing on the new playground equipment- something we never had when I was there. Scott drove in after work that evening and arrived around bedtime. The next morning Scott and I took the kids to the tour of Monterey High School that the reunion committee had arranged. I saw quite a few familiar faces there and enjoyed seeing what was the same and what had changed, which was almost nothing! Shelley and I and our families ditched the tour near the end and went off on our own to find the cheerleading room. It was pretty crazy to be back in that room again where we spent so many hours during and after school. Good memories. After having lunch with Shelley and and her family, we went driving around town with Mimi and Poppi to see our old houses, neighborhoods, etc. That was probably one of my favorite parts of the weekend since I had not been to Lubbock in 15 years. It was good to see firsthand that it actually still existed other than in my childhood memory. It was fun to see how Lubbock had grown and changed. Saturday evening my parents took the kids to dinner and to the Science Spectrum while Scott and I went to the reunion dinner. It was held at a party barn on the west side of town near our hotel. We had fajitas for dinner and mostly just watched the slide show and talked with Shelley, Jamie, Chad, and other old friends. Sunday morning we all went to church at Sunset and had the opportunity to see the Sneeds and show the kids my old church. After lunch at Pei Wei we headed back home. I have nothing but good, warm feelings of growing up there in Lubbock and I will always have a special place in my heart for that area of Texas.
 |
| playing at the playground where Murfee used to be |
 |
| the girls and I at my old elementary |
 |
| this is the room where we practiced for cheerleading |
 |
| Shelley and I and our kids |
 |
| Shelley and I |
 |
| another pic of the cheerleader Moms and the kids |
 |
| Judson wanted his picture taken with the Plainsmen |
 |
| Shelley, Jamie and I at the reunion dinner |
 |
| Scott and I at the dinner |
 |
| the kids had fun at the Science Spectrum while Scott and i were at the reunion dinner |
 |
| "This one's for Daddy!" |
 |
| Judson loved the dinosaurs |
 |
| more dinosaurs |
 |
| Kendall making a bubble sheet |
 |
| more bubble fun |
0 comments:
Post a Comment