CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, June 02, 2007

A tribute

About a week and a half ago, my grandfather, who we called Papa, passed away. There are all kinds of grandparents, and all kinds of grandparent-grandchild relationships, running the gamut (spelling?)from kids who see their grandparents weekly to those who never even got the chance to know their grandparents. Mine and my sister's relationship with our Papa and Nana fell somwhere in between. We mostly saw them on holidays since we lived 4-5 hours away, but with that considered, we had (and still have with Nana) a special relationship and many wonderful memories. In honor of my grandfather, here are a few of my favortie memories of him:



The smell of his aftershave/cologne in his bathroom

Him painting my fingernails before church one Sunday

Showing me how to blow my nose

His stories of fishing, military service, growing up, and "courting" my grandmother

His bits of wisdom, often ending with the words, "and so"

Playing cards and dominoes

His little "jigs" he would dance

His carpentry skills- he added on a room to 2 of our houses we had growing up

The dollhouse he built for me

Seeing him hold and interact with his great-granddaughter



I'm sure there are many more I could add if I thought about it long enough. I hope that many of you reading were lucky enough to have a special relationship with a grandparent and that this brought back some good memories for you.

0 comments: