CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Avery's debut!

Just as Scott promised, here's the story of Avery's birth. . .

Thursday afternoon I went to the Dr. and we did a non-stress test to make sure Avery was still doing OK since she was already a few days late. Although she had been active some that day, she decided not to move hardly at all during the test, and the Dr. was not pleased with that. So he sent us over to radiology to do a biophysical profile, which is basically an ultrasound that looks at fetal well-being. There were a few things that didn't look quite as good as they should, so the Dr. sent us over to labor and delivery and said he would call us and we would decide what to do. On a sidenote, my Dr. left for Denver right after our appointment, so we were now being taken care of by another Dr. in the group. Dr. Melendez decided to go ahead and admit me and start the induction process. I had mild contractions all night and then my water broke on its own at 5:00 am. By 9:00 I was ready to push! I pushed for about 1 1/2 hrs but Avery was getting stuck and I was exhausted, so the Dr. let me rest for about an hour. We started pushing again at noon and finally, with the help of forceps, she was born at 1:22 pm. I was so relieved and overjoyed that she had finally arrived! She weighed 7 lbs 14 oz and was 20 3/4 inches long. She had a conehead and some marks from the forceps, but all that is gone now and she looks beautiful! Since she got stuck and the birth was so traumatic for my body, the Dr. suggested planned C-sections from now on. . . but we will worry about that later. For now we are just enjoying our sweet, beautiful daughter! We can't wait for you all to meet her!

0 comments: